No AI Generated Content
Future of Project Management in Construction Industry
Get Free Samples Written by our Top-Notch Subject Expert Writers known for providing the Best Assignment Help Services in Australia
The term project management basically entails the designing as well as management of a firm’s asses to shift in a definite work, event or responsibility in the direction if completing the work on time. Project management within the construction industries plays a very pivotal role in effective management of the overall venture by augmenting the prospective for winning venture completion. Thus it can be clear from the overall discussion that the given study is related to the topic of project management within the construction industry. Below given are the details of the entire task.
One of the main notions behind conducting this study is to shed light on the topic of “The Future of Project Management”. The study will be done focussing on one main research question that will entail the overall discussion of the topic. The research question that has been selected for this study is “What is the scope in addition to future of project management within the construction industry?”Taking into account the research question the overall research will consider the use of technology, opportunities as well as challenges, the sort of project management tool used in the construction industry.
The Future of Project Management within construction industry
According to AtulAuti (2008), construction executives are supposed to manage the expected expansion in development movement over the approaching ten years. Those with a four-year college education in development science, development administration, structural designing, and development experience will have the best work possibilities. Considering the future of project management in construction industry the construction managers expect the following mentioned things:
- Esteem designing
- Inventive development strategies
- Partner administration/the board
- Staff increase
- Preparing (Auti, 2008).
However as suggested by Matthew Uchitpe (2016), Considering the future of project management within the construction industry the construction managers are urged to be involved from the get-go in a venture to help and educate the proprietor through all stages concerning project conveyance, including the preparation, plan, and development cycle of capital tasks (Uchitpe, 2016).With additional people heading out to worldwide destinations nowadays and being presented with the quality frameworks in the nations they visit, it's nothing unexpected that they anticipate comparable refinement and offices in their own urban communities and towns. The construction area, which had been hit by the lull for more than a year, has seen a new recovery as action is getting across the business within Australia.
The need for an elite framework in new structures is one of the factors behind the restoration of the development business today where project management plays a very pivotal role. The development of clients and their pReferences has brought about a changed viewpoint on the actual area. What's more, the prevalent quality, severe conveyance timetables, and adherence to financial plans that are being requested from clients have fuelled the need to work on interior frameworks, interaction, and HR. Another explanation has been that the development of project management within the construction industry is one of the biggest youth populaces internationally and has made Australia a colossally appealing business sector. The colossal potential they see from the retail restoration has gotten a few global players to Australia in search of their portion of the pie.The last decade saw enormous changes in the construction sector, these changes ranged from the digitization of the supply chain management system to the induction of every possible mode of technology that has the slightest changes of benefitting this heavy-duty industry. For starters, the advent of industry 4.0 is already on the rise and it has started reaching the tips of the construction sector as well. This industry contains high-tech channels like the Internet of Things and artificial intelligence, robotics, block chain, virtual reality, and so on. Blockchain technology is eminently used in many construction projects using IoT, especially for the supply chain management and monitoring process. Project managers are inclined towards the amalgamation of robotics as well as human minds to benefit the construction project in a way where there will not be any loopholes. Apart from the process of construction, a researcher needs to understand that the matter and materials used for construction are also changing(AutoDesk University 2022). The use of advanced steel, glazed panel, and metalwork detailing is something that the construction industry is not very familiar with. Furthermore, handling these materials requires extra precaution that requires study and technical safety. Apart from the technical aspects, the Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) Conference & Trade Show in San Diego has confirmed that the coming decade will see a whole other lot of changes in the construction industry. These changes will range from value engineering to safer processes of construction and the reduction of manual labor to promote safety and security. Apart from these other aspects of staff augmentation and pitching of projects entirely through virtual reality instead of blueprints are confirmed in the coming five years. The building up of smart cities is already being claimed as a step towards futuristic constructions, innovation and the advent of technology are expected to add to it(Phillips 2022).
Use of technology in future project management within the construction industry
The use of technology in the future of project management in construction is based on three primary objectives:
- Increase of productivity
- Safer job sites
- Reduction of risks
The other aspect associated with it is a part of the process. The start of futuristic construction has already taken place with the construction of smart cities like Helsinki, Zurich, Oslo, and Amsterdam. A smart city is referred to as an urban area that has reached new heights of technology(YourStory.com 2022). These cities are dependent on artificial intelligence for every aspect of their processes such as traffic control, electric and water supplies, and even registration of social securities and gaining and storing information about their citizens, almost nothing is performed manually in these areas. The construction of such areas is also a step towards understanding the futuristic tendency of the construction industry.
Technology can be infused in every part of the construction process and the beginning of the same has already begun in many parts of the globe. The primary case that technology can serve is that data from various previous miss happenings and failed projects can be collected to predict the future of the coming projects. This arena of technological innovation will prove itself to be a revolution in the construction industry because funds, costings, and risks will go down immensely leading to more investments toward organic projects. Artificial intelligence can prove itself to be immensely worthy when it comes to the question of moving construction sites and gathering and retrieving certain tools, this will not only save time and labor but money as well(Xu et al., 2021).
Virtual reality can offer architects the freedom to work in sites that are extremely confined or not appropriate for human visitation until ready, such as places of extreme height or depth. Virtual reality simulators can prove themselves to be very useful in helping project managers understand the site fully even while not being physically present there. Stimulators have worked for training pilots and naval officers for years, their use in the construction industry will be revolutionary from many aspects. The constraint of the human body in the path of site inspection and presence in unreachable areas will be completely eradicated as a whole.
Augmented reality is something that project managers aim to use for the safety and security of the laborers at the site. AR will allow a more detailed inspection of the site, the attention to detail will reveal each weak link of the site thereby making the process more secure. Brick-laying robots or rebar-tying robots are another unusual faces of AR that is severely asked for in the construction industry(Levy 2018). These are parts of robotics as well where these machines automatically lay bricks and they do it much faster than human hands. They do not require breaks and hence the process can take place at much faster paces, this saves both time and money so that both of these can be invested elsewhere.
The use of virtual reality, as well as augmented reality, depends on the collection of fruitful information that can be turned into reference points. The information on sites needs to be collected in a manner that is entirely failproof(Sumer 2023). Many technicians have suggested using drones for this purpose. Drones with cameras that provide 5-dimensional views capture things that even the human eye cannot. This greatly reduces the chances of risks as well as understanding all the corners of the site in a very efficient way. Surface sensors instilled by these robotic drones can also understand how strong or weak a particular structure is and how much load can it handle. This again is a massive gain for the construction industry because not only does it assure safety but also convenience and fewer chances of mistakes.
Other technologies such as BIM, IoT mobile applications with customized interfaces as well as microservice architecture, and so on will help the different firms streamline their project management ideas and aspects. It will help to enhance the quality of construction immensely, allowing more productivity and safety as the industry progresses with the help of able project management and efficient technology.
Opportunities and challenges in project management within the construction industry and its future outcome
- According to Cherian, &Kumaran, 2016 the project management and construction industry is evolving every day. Traditional ways of managing construction projects are no longer practical. Ever-changing technology, volatile economic conditions, and the complexity of construction projects are forcing construction managers to change their approach to project management. Traditional project management methods have not kept up with the changing demands of the construction industry. Project management in construction presents specific opportunities and challenges related to future outcomes.
- Each of these factors affects how the project is managed. For example, tightening regulations have increased the use of professional contractors, which makes projects more difficult to complete.
- Many companies are currently struggling to meet the needs of the construction industry and this trend will continue. To ensure a thriving future for the construction industry, companies must take a holistic approach to project management.
- This lack of trust has a major impact on the ability to achieve successful outcomes. As a result, many construction projects are plagued by delays and cost overruns.
- The planning phase of a company involves establishing a unique resource projection. Unrealistic resource projection can be considered a huge challenge of project management within the construction industry.
- Buvik, &Rolfsen, 2015 states that rising construction costs, delayed projects, and inexperienced workers are just a few of the many factors that lead to challenges. To avoid these pitfalls, several strategies need to be put in place. Proper planning, communication, and monitoring are essential ingredients for a successful project.
But even so, a variety of issues continue to stymie the success of many building projects. One of the key barriers to construction projects is getting all stakeholders on the same page. It has a positive impact on those who work in the construction sector as well as on others.
The opportunities of project management within the construction industry mainly include:
- The future of construction project management will be exciting. According to Li, Greenwood, &Kassem, 2019 the industry will continue to grow and provide opportunities for those with the appropriate skills. The skills required for construction project management are varied, but the most important are the ability to communicate effectively, the ability to lead a team, and the ability to negotiate. With these skills, construction project managers will be able to continue to build the world people live in.
- Project management is a broad and varied assumption with multiple chances for its professionals. One such possibility is in construction project management. Construction project management is predicted to expand over the next few years. This is because there is growing pressure for new building projects and competent project managers to monitor such works.
- The project player's role is to oversee the building project's progress and ensure that it is done on time, on expenditure, and to the correct standards. The building projects industry is rapidly expanding, and eligible project leaders are in short supply. The destiny of project management in the construction industry is bright.
- In a constantly changing industry, there will always be new ways to improve project management. The sustained concepts of project leadership methods and procedures are critical to the field's success in the future. An ever-construction industry offers many opportunities for those seeking to establish a for themselves. The structure is one of the industry sectors that is expected to grow the fastest in the coming years, thanks to a constantly growing economy. As more people become fascinated by the field, there are more chances for those searching to begin their careers in it.
Type of project Management used in the Construction Industry (PM tools)
As per the opinion of Levy, 2018, in terms of the destiny aspect of creative enterprise in Australia, the undertaking management gear is used in the development for the enhancement in services of production. A challenge management device is a software program that assists challenge groups in making plans, monitoring and handling projects to obtain the described venture desires within the given time frame. Furthermore, it helps effective collaboration among crew contributors and enables multiplied task crowning glory. The equipment of project control will be useful in the production industry as all of the people are more dependent on the use of recent strategies for the enhancement of productivity of work. There are some of the assignment control gear which might be used within the creation and may be more beneficial in the coming time is as follows:
E- Builder Enterprise: Construction project management tools such as e-Builder Enterprise are among the best. It links industry-standard accounting, property management, design, and collaboration programs to eliminate data silos at every step of these projects. As per the use of the e-builder tool, it will be more used in the coming times for commercial, healthcare as well as government projects.
Oracle Aconex: Various stakeholders on a construction project can communicate and manage documents using Oracle Aconex. Possibly its most notable feature is the ability to track revisions and approvals of key documents, creating a single source of truth. Whenever you send a file, you can easily identify the correct one.
Procore: As a production task management device, Procore is likewise particularly regarded. Bridgit Bench and the opposite software packages and extensions it gives are used for everything from high-quality guarantees to monetary evaluations. There may be a fantastic thing of integrations that can be without difficulty used within the production industry. By using streamlining and mobilizing challenge communications and documentation, Procore will dramatically grow challenge efficiency and responsibility. This device is taken into consideration as a destiny of the creative industry as it provides various capabilities which can make easy lifestyles of the people.
Prontoforms: In the field, ProntoForms is a popular application for collecting data. There is a tremendous amount of customization possible with this program. It is very easy for companies like Lendlease to create custom data collection applications using ProntoForms since they only need to write a small amount of code. With ProntoForms, you can build new workflows in just hours rather than weeks thanks to the minimal-code, drag-and-drop builder. A construction company can use this tool for a variety of project management tasks.
Exaktime: This project management tool will be considered as a time tracking tool and helps to track the time of work as it will provide the best solution. All sizes of companies will benefit from the simple-to-use software. Time tracking is unbeatable with ExakTime, but scheduling isn't as robust as with Bridgit Bench. A digital time-tracking system specifically designed for busy contractors, ExakTime helps you spend less time on administration and more time on work. It will be beneficial for people to manage their time during work on construction sites.
Demirkesen, &Ozorhon, 2017 states that all the above-noted venture management tools are used in the creative industry and are considered as a quality issue of operating more successfully with the use of techniques. These strategies may be made less complicated, quicker, and more efficient with a construction assignment management software program. Therefore, a greater worthwhile and time-saving method is achieved. The result can be that groups in Australia may be capable of scaling their groups extra efficiently in the future. An included construction assignment control technique involves the control of people and resources at some stage in the direction of a creative challenge for you to manipulate its scope, value, satisfaction, and time. By the usage of an assignment control device, the team could be capable of preparing all information in a single area, talking response and development, and, sooner or later, co-operate greater efficiently. For that reason, collaboration through the use of assignment management tools will be useful in destiny to carry people collectively to work on a few objectives and is considered a first-class element for the construction industry.
The scope of construction project management in the coming times
As per Rokooei, 2015 the scope of construction project management is a very wide field. It includes the entire process of planning, designing, and managing a construction project from its inception to completion. The scope also includes the various stages involved in this process like pre-construction, design, construction, and post-construction phases. Today's era is full of new ideas and innovations that have changed our lives completely. The world has become more advanced than ever before in terms of technology and science. This has made people more innovative today than they were earlier on in their life as well as enabled them. Planning, coordinating, and implementing construction projects are all part of construction project management. Assuring that the project is completed within budget and on time requires working with architects, engineers, and other professionals in the coming times.
According to Radujkovi?, &Sjekavica, 2017 the main objective of a project manager is to make sure the process of construction is in a smooth manner and as per the planning so that it will be considered as an aspect of growth and development. As a result, they maintain a tight schedule, remain within budget, allocate resources, avoid scope creep, and guarantee quality. However, the project manager can assess the level of risk in the future in terms of the construction industry. In addition to this change in the scope of the process itself, there are also changes in the type of people who will be involved as well as how they will be involved. As there is huge scope in construction in Australia, there are more chances for development in the techniques of project management. The main objective of this process is to make sure that everything goes as planned and on schedule. Demirkesen, &Ozorhon, 2017 states that Project management in the coming times will be challenging. There are many factors to take into account, such as the economic climate and demographics.
To meet the demanding situations of the coming years and make certain that construction initiatives run easily, there's a need for a specialized kind of challenge management. This sort of management is called production task management, or CPM for brief. Creation venture control is considered a brand new subject within the system of operating together to gain objectives. Concerning the scope of production challenge management in the coming instances, the need for coordination and verbal exchange between different stakeholders is paramount. But, as in step with the opinion of Ajmal, Khan, & Al-Yafei, 2019 failure to achieve this will have extreme results for both the venture and the overall employer. The achievement of a construction venture depends on a variety of things, but most significantly, it relies upon good verbal exchange and coordination among all of the worrying events. A hit preserves the essay and requires that all stakeholders be on the identical web page and understand each other’s desires. Venture management has usually been a hard challenge for each specialist and amateur. It is usually an aggregate of artwork and technological know-how and can be pretty daunting for folks who are not properly versed in it. However, the scope of creation mission control is developing increasingly complicated in the coming times. Organizations are taking up an ever-growing range of projects, and the demands of the purchaser have by no means been better.
Antunes, & Gonzalez, 2015 states that it is pretty exciting to observe how the position of production task managers has modified over time. It is now a completely commonplace sight to see creation assignment managers taking on a proactive role in the creation method. The construction mission manager is now responsible for making sure that the construction procedure is executed in a safe and green manner. That is a completely essential duty because it ensures that the development assignment is completed on time and within the price range. The development zone is presently one of the maximum promising industries in Australia as well as globally. As a result, the call for construction venture managers is predicted to rise within the coming years.
To conclude this report has immensely focussed on the aspect of the future of project management in the construction industry. This report took off by discussing the opportunities and challenges of project management that take place within the construction industry. After the identification of the existing potential threats and opportunities, the report redirected its attention toward the different types of project management used in the construction industry, their significance, and their features. Then the report moved toward the scope of project management in the future in the arena of construction. This portion attempted to give some insights about the estimated changes that the construction industry will face in the future due to able project management. The final portion of the report focussed on the use of technology in project management in the arena of construction in the future. The concluding section saw the existing and potential innovations.
- Auti, A. (2008). Construction Project Management in India. International Journal of Construction Management 8(2).
- Ajmal, M., Khan, M., & Al-Yafei, H. (2019). Exploring factors behind project scope creep–stakeholders’ perspective. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business.
- Antunes, R., & Gonzalez, V. (2015). A production model for construction: A theoretical framework. Buildings, 5(1), 209-228.
- Buvik, M. P., &Rolfsen, M. (2015). Prior ties and trust development in project teams–A case study from the construction industry. International journal of project management, 33(7), 1484-1494.
- Cherian, T. M., &Kumaran, L. A. (2016). E-business in construction industry: Opportunities and challenges. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(32), p1-6.
- D2C founders on why omnichannel is the way forward for brands to thrive. YourStory.com. (2022).Retrieved 13 October 2022, from https://yourstory.com/2022/10/d2c-founders-omnichannel-way-thrives-brands/amp?utm_pageloadtype=scroll.
- Demirkesen, S., &Ozorhon, B. (2017).Impact of integration management on construction project management performance. International Journal of Project Management, 35(8), 1639-1654.
- Demirkesen, S., &Ozorhon, B. (2017).Impact of integration management on construction project management performance. International Journal of Project Management, 35(8), 1639-1654.
- Levy, S. M. (2018).Project management in construction.McGraw-Hill Education.
- Levy, S. M. (2018). Project management in construction.McGraw-Hill Education.
- Li, J., Greenwood, D., &Kassem, M. (2019).Blockchain in the built environment and construction industry: A systematic review, conceptual models and practical use cases. Automation in construction, 102, 288-307.
- Phillips, S. (2022). Construction Managers: 10 Years into the Future - iConnectEngineers. iConnectEngineers. Retrieved 13 October 2022, from https://iconnectengineers.com/blog/construction-managers-10-years-future/.
- Radujkovi?, M., &Sjekavica, M. (2017).Project management success factors. Procedia engineering, 196, 607-615.
- Rokooei, S. (2015).Building information modeling in project management: necessities, challenges and outcomes. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 210, 87-95.
- Sumer, L. (2023). The Digital Future of the Construction Project Management.In Global Joint Conference on Industrial Engineering and Its Application Areas (pp. 255-267).Springer, Cham.
- The Future of Construction Project Management.Autodesk University.(2022). Retrieved 13 October 2022, from https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-university/class/Future-Construction-Project-Management-2020#presentation.
- Uchitpe, M. (2016). Predicting the Future of Project Management Research. The University of Sydney.
- Xu, X., &Zou, P. X. (2021). System dynamics analytical modeling approach for construction project management research: A critical review and future directions. Frontiers of Engineering Management, 8(1), 17-31.