24 x 7 Online Help
Developing As An Effective H.R. Practitioner
H.R. or Human Resource roles remain crucial to the organization as they support hiring effective employees, training them, and others. Likewise, the report shall discuss the CIPD 2018 professional map, including the core behaviours and knowledge areas. It shall also trace the specialist knowledge areas that remain highly crucial to H.R.'s roles and discuss the importance of the knowledge. Moreover, the report shall discuss how H.R.'s functions ensure quality service.
The report is based upon a mono-method, and only secondary methodology has been included. The data has been gathered from published books, journals, magazines and other internet sources. Such a method helps to understand the views of other experts, researchers and authors (Mayo, 2020). Thus, a vast amount of knowledge regarding the H.R. roles has been gathered from secondary sources.
Discussion and findings
This section shall discuss the CIPD professional map
Brief summarization of the CIPD 2018 professional map
The map shall be referred to as an interactive tool that helps to explore human resources. It reflects knowledge, skills and behaviours that develop a positive impact on careers. The map has a circular centre that demonstrates the purpose of the map, and the objective is to make individuals champion at work, and the goals are- to be evidence-based, outcome-driven, and principle led (Ruck, 2021).
Figure 1: Showing the purpose of the CIPD professional Map
Source: (Rusk, 2021)
Moreover, the top part of the map reflects the core knowledge, values, specialist knowledge, and core behaviour, as shown in figure 2.
Figure 2: Showing the core section of the CIPD MAP
Source: (Ruck, 2021)
The core section is concerned with the H.R. or Human Resource, L&D or learning and development and O.D. or organization development. To summarize the core section, it shall be revealed that the values of the map help the H.R. professionals to understand that the customers always come first and that the H.R. professionals need to be collaborative and have expertise in a related field. They need to be innovative (Mayo, 2020). To summarize the core knowledge, it shall be revealed that it refers to the culture and behaviours, evidence-based practices, technology and people related to the business environment. Core behaviour includes the thinking and action needed to be an effective professional such as ethical practice, valuing people, working inclusively, passion for learning, situational decision making, professional courage and others (Ruck, 2021). Moreover, the specialist knowledge areas are related to the unique knowledge such as employee experience, diversity and inclusion, reward, talent management, people analysis and others. Furthermore, the core behaviours, core knowledge and specialist knowledge are further broken down into sections such as associate, foundation, chartered fellow and chartered member.
The map helps in career development, recruitment and selection, succession planning, function, and others. The map sets a global standard for people professionals and provides knowledge, guidance, and behaviours required to be successful.
Identifying the specialist knowledge for H.R.
After interpreting various secondary sources, it shall be revealed that having advanced knowledge regarding rewards and talent management shall be considered primary specialist knowledge for me. Currently, due to industrialization and digitalization, market competition has increased. In such a scenario retaining skilled employees remains extremely crucial as experience employees shall contribute effectively to the organization. Moreover, retaining employees shall reduce the cost of new recruitment and training of new employees. Likewise, knowing suitable offering rewards such as monetary benefits, holiday packages, insurance and others based on performance remains crucial (Beatty and Queen, 2019). Furthermore, having the knowledge of managing the talents, solving their issues through communication, offering suitable training, and others remain crucial as it shall help in effective employee performance.
The relevance of knowledge standard refers to the context or situation that reflects the dynamics between different actors. Thus, it shall be an environment having effective knowledge of reward and talent management that remains extremely achieving competitive in the current business environment. It shall help me include effective communication with the employees besides improving their performance and working process.
This section shall discuss how customer service employees ensure effective and timely services.
Understanding customer needs
There are various types of customers; however, three different types of customers are-
- Impulse customers- they make a purchasing decision in the "spur of the moment" and especially due to urgent situations. They have a variety of demands such as better price or quality. I shall offer them a seamless experience and give time-sensitive offers that create urgency to prioritize their conflicting needs.
- New customers- are those customers who have to make the first purchase. They need good quality, affordable and attractive products (Beatty and Queen, 2019). I shall offer them a smooth purchasing process and guide them in every step. Based on their specific needs, I shall suggest with an accurate product.
- Active customers- they are actively using the products of a particular organization. However, they can switch if competitors offer better products. They shall be given the best customer service and continuous interaction and engagement remains crucial. If I understand that any customer is going to switch (conflicting needs), I shall interact with the customer and reveal the discount offers so that they decide to stick in my organization only.
Different communication method
- Verbal communication- such communication can be used to communicate with other team members or customers. However, one of the advantage is that, the person can get the feedback quickly, but the disadvantage is that verbal communication do not has legal validity.
- Written communication- written communication can also be used, and one of the advantages is that it reflects permanent evidence and gives sufficient time to the receiver to think. However, the disadvantage is that there remains the chance of miscommunication (Prikshat et al., 2018).
- Visual communication- this type of communication can also be used for effective service and the advantage is that it delivers information directly and is more attention-grabbing and makes more impact to the viewers. However, the disadvantage is that- it is more costly than other communication methods.
Effective service delivery
- Service delivery on time- I shall include effective time plan and discuss the time plan with the higher authority and project team. Moreover, I can use time scheduling software such as Toggl to schedule the time accurately. I shall note whether the team is performing on time or not. If they lag behind, I shall recommend the leader to use the software to reschedule the time and to manage and complete the project on time (Mayo, 2020).
- Delivering subject on budget- I shall collaborate accurately with the finance department and use budget scheduling software such as Centage, which offers tools called "Maestros" for forecasting, budgeting, financial reporting, and others (Coates and Duston, 2021). Moreover, effective team communication shall be maintained.
- Handling and resolving complaints- I shall include face to face meeting sessions with every department and team at regular intervals. Either the issues shall be solved through verbal communication during the meeting or the issues and demands of each member shall be noted. The issues shall be discussed later with the higher authority to solve them.
- Dealing with difficult customers- Effective listening skills shall be used to listen to the customers' demands. Problem solving skills shall be used to solve their problem. Moreover, their innovative skills shall be used, such as offering discounts or complimentary gifts to satisfy the customers. Moreover, feedback from the customers can be taken at regular intervals after service delivery (Ruck, 2021).
Thus, to conclude, it shall be revealed that the report has discussed regarding various aspects of H.R. roles. It has discussed regarding the CIPD professional map and reflected that to become successful H.R. professional, people shall have values, core knowledge core behavior and specialized knowledge. Moreover, the report has revealed how H.R. professionals shall deal with customers and co-employees to maintain the customer base and retain skilled employees. All such knowledge has helped me increase my knowledge and shall help me in my future career.
Further interpreting the CIPD professional map shall help me understand in-depth career development knowledge. I can understand my professional strengths and weaknesses based on the acquired knowledge. I can opt for training sessions to overcome my weaknesses. It shall make my future career stronger.
Beatty, C.A. and Queen’s, I.R.C., 2019. From HR practitioner to H.R. leader: Competencies required. Queen's University Industrial Relations Centre (I.R.C.).
Coates, N. and Dutson, R., 2021. The H.R. consultant–an experiential learning approach: A case study approach of H.R. students working on live client projects. In Organisation Studies and Human Resource Management (pp. 150-165). Routledge.
Enkhjav, T., Szira, Z. and Varga, E., 2021. Reconsidering H.R. competency models: entrepreneurship and digital competency. Technology transfer: innovative solutions in Social Sciences and Humanities, pp.12-14.
Hunter-Hill, M., 2019. Strategies to Develop Core Behaviours through Psychometrics & Coaching: A Profession Mapping Exercise.: Professional Development Workshop (P.D.W.).
Mayo, A., 2020. H.R. at the top table. Strategic H.R. Review.
Prikshat, V., Kumar, S., Nankervis, A. and Khan, M.M.S., 2018. Indian H.R. competency modelling: Profiling, mapping and an investigation of H.R.M. roles and competencies. The Journal of Developing Areas, 52(4), pp.269-282.
Ruck, K., 2021. Employee voice and internal listening: towards dialogue in the workplace. In Current Trends and Issues in Internal Communication (pp. 93-111). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
Tariga, J.A., Embarking on a professional development journey: Building the future you.
Uppathampracha, R. (2019). Competencies of human resources professional. W.M.S. Journal of Management, 8(2), 122-135.
What did you do?
What did you learn from this?
How have/will you use this?
Any further action?
Gathering knowledge regarding CIPD professional map
Realizing regarding my own professional abilities
Gaining knowledge regarding customer and employee management
It gave me knowledge regarding career development
It helped me to understand my own strengths and weaknesses
It shall help me to handle customers and employees in my future career
I learned regarding the values and purpose of CIPD map
I learned the advantages and disadvantages of different types of communication
I learned various customer retention (such as offering discounts) and employee retention strategies (such as offering rewards)
I shall use the knowledge to sharpen my career
I shall use this knowledge while communicating with my future C.E.O., employees or customers
I shall use the knowledge while handling practical customers and employees