Environmental Sustainable Engineering And Logistics
Get Free Samples Written by our Top-Notch Subject Experts For Taking Online Assignment Help Services
Sustainable construction can be defined as the process of deploying reusable along with renewable elements at the time of constructing any building venture as well as decreasing the energy usage as well as squander generation. The main objective of sustainable construction is focused on reducing the impact of energy in addition to keeping the ecology healthy. Considering various industries it can be said that 18.4% of farming, plantation as well as the use of land straightforwardly holds greenhouse gas emissions. In addition to this, it has also been noted that the conservatory gas release from sectors mainly arrives from burning fossil coals for energy along with conservatory gas release from various chemical materials importantly to give items from unfinished products (Ali 2020).
So, it can be identified from the above discussion that the given topic is related to sustainable construction and there will be various points related to this topic which will be further discussed in the later part. The study will provide its focal points on the below-mentioned parts:
- The function of the construction industry for sustainable development
- How construction projects can be socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable
- Recommendation of a sustainability assessment tool
- Application of sustainable project management principles
- How health and safety should be considered as a sustainability performance measure
Overall the entire study will be based on sustainable construction and how it is impacting the overall construction industry for the betterment of the environment by reducing the emission of harmful gas.
The role of the construction industry in sustainable development
The main objective of sustainable construction is to apply the concept of sustainable growth within the manufacturing sector. It usually entails building up of an infrastructure which aims at maximizing the deployment of sustainable assets although causing a small amount of contamination as well as squandering. It also aims at improving the worth of living of the people in the ecology. The construction industries by considering the sustainable development get fresh occasions to increase the centre point away from the ecological measurement of sustainability. Development project conveyance, as well as its administration, might be perceived as maintainable if communal, financial, and ecological contemplations are incorporated into the venture conveyance cycles, guidelines, and practices (Fei 2021).
The fast increase in the population, financial growth as well as need for additional natural assets have provided pressure on the globe. Assets, land administration, ecology as well as human growth are entirely connected to each other. It is important that it ought to be administered in a proper manner so that pollution and other waste can be kept in control. The role of the construction industry can be explained by using five main determinants which are described in detail below.
- Creating Sustainable Energy: Clean energy made from construction is identified to be as sustainable as well as emits less contamination as compared to petroleum derivatives. Considering the role of the construction industry in this case it can be said that in order to gain sustainable development the industry will require to expand the sum of clean energy, in addition, to decreasing the total usage of fossil fuels.
- Creating sustainable Technology: Within the construction industry, the use of sustainable technology also plays a major role. Technology also provides impact over the capability to turn out to be suitable as well as green manufacturing technology is again becoming a trend within the construction industry that leads to sustainable development. For instance, business structures are in many cases void 30-40% of the time. By utilizing green innovations like movement sensors and access card peruses, it is realized when a portion of a structure is abandoned and can change HVAC frameworks and shut down unused offices, so they utilize less energy (Ltd, Juta 2022).
- Creating sustainable construction: The sort of materials usually the construction company purchase might measure what kind of effect they will provide on the ecology. In that construction plays a significant role by sourcing sustainable materials that provide the below-mentioned advantages to gain sustainable development:
- Improving the functional efficacy by decreasing the expense as well as squandering
- Reaching new clients along with developing a cutthroat benefit
- Protecting as well as making b the brand image and creating client conviction
- Working with compliance (Czajkowska 2018)
So, overall from the discussion, it can be said that construction plays a major role in the development of sustainability by making use of both renewable as well as the reusable item and keeping the ecology pure to live.
How construction projects can be socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable
Whenever the term sustainability comes into the context people, in general, imagine green, plantations as well as nature. But that is not the case at all. Communal sustainability has got its own degree of significance. Acknowledging this factor at the time of the construction project offers an additional occasion for generating, facilitating, or administering the community, finance as well as ecology as a whole. The construction business in that case should assist with building a world that will work on the existence of people in the future and use eco-accommodating strategies. Working economically includes satisfying the needs of the extending populace, as well as supporting the climate in the long haul.
Socially sustainable: It is a true fact that construction projects can be communally sustainable. Communal sustainability is usually concerned with distinguishing as well as overseeing business influences, both constructive as well as pessimistic, on individuals. It, in general, helps in making a contribution in various manners to get better the stay of living of people as in addition to increasing the wellbeing of life by producing work opportunities which assist in meeting the daily requirements of the society. It again assists in creating tactical communal savings as well as endorses public strategies which assist in communal sustainability. The construction project also helps in creating an association with other industries, driving the b points to create a bigger constructive effect (UNGC 2022). In addition to the fact that sustainable construction implies further developed wellbeing for individuals who utilize the structures, it likewise has been displayed to further develop labourers’ efficiency during development on account of better environmental elements, workplaces, and commotion safeguard.
Economically sustainable: The construction sector creates a huge contribution to producing worth as well as generating work within the Australian financial sector. A lot of other sectors are connected to the manufacturing sector and thusly construction industries dish up as economically sustainable. As a result, it can be said that the construction sector might help in contributing to superior economic sustainability by constructing low-carbon apartments where it holds 50% of all the releases. In addition to this economic sustainability can also be created by decreasing, redeployment, recovering as well as recycling the squander created at the time of construction. It also helps in creating apartments to motivate people to be additionally ecologically friendly (Consulting, CPM 2022). Economic development is now and again censured for utilizing costly materials, however, green structures are many times thought about more significant than customary ones. Information has shown they accomplish a 7% expansion in their worth over customary structures, in addition to reserve funds on service bills for occupants or families are additionally almost certain through reasonable development ventures.
Environmentally Sustainable: The development business is probably the biggest client of worldwide assets and givers of contamination. It along these lines has a gigantic obligation to help environmental sustainability. Utilizing sustainable power along with construction materials will assist in the battle against environmental transformation. Besides, greener structures will work on squander administration and outflows. As indicated by The World Green Building Council, Green structures cannot just decrease or wipe out adverse consequences on the climate, by utilizing less water, energy, or regular assets, however, they can - as a rule - decidedly affect the climate (at the structure or city scales) by producing their own energy or expanding biodiversity (Construct, Go 2020).
A recommendation of a sustainability assessment tool
This part of the report covers the recommendations section regarding the sustainability assessment tool from the business perspective. The sustainability assessment tools can be applied in the process of WSD Ltd for improving the construction projects that the recommendations are as follows:
- Risk assessment tools need to be applied in the WSD to analyse the hazards due to environmental exposure (Campos-Guzmán, and et.al. 2019). It may provide some predictions regarding the increase in the incidents from the different chemical exposure in the green population area which can affect the company and its practices. However, this tool helps the company improve the process of different establishment of clean-up levels and the permission regarding the industrial facilities.
- Another sustainable assessment tool is a life that needs to be implemented by WSD Ltd for analysing some major impact of the products on the environment and it helps to determine the process of changes in the environment. It can be beneficial for the constructing companies and take a system perspective that covers the complete process of production including the eventual disposal which is considered a sustainable analysis. A business needs to consider this as a crucial tool for facing challenges in the business by measuring the risk assessment for the projects in the future.
- The management of WSD Ltd must use the benefit-cost analysis tool to evaluate the overall benefits of the various decisions (Findler, and et.al. 2018). Can be recommended that this assessment tool helps to bring changes in the economic cost as well as reduce the recent issues in the construction projects. However, the use of the standard technique for dealing with the changing environment to implement some systematic methodology which helps to develop the process of designing the building. In addition to this, the company should do some cost-benefit analysis for dealing with the changing environment and perform in a good manner.
- In this, WSD Ltd should implement the integrated assessment tool for handling disciplinary lines for merging the data and this can be used for conducting climate change policies for the process of construction (Henry, Laitala, and Klepp, 2019). However, this implementation can be beneficial for the company to determine the use of assumptions in the practices. It will help them to understand the different relations between the social, environmental as well as economic aspects of sustainability within the business.
- The last recommendation for the sustainable assessment too is about the environmental justice regarding the delivery of construction projects by WSD Ltd. The company should use the environmental justice tools for experiencing the environmental issues and heavy burden for the procedure of evaluating the sustainability of the communities in the construction projects. It helps the company address various affected communities as it can highly affect the people during the construction project (Shrestha, and Thaheem, 2022).
Thus, above mention recommendations of sustainability assessment tools in the context of WSD Ltd need to be followed for better performance and quality of work in the future. It will help to make improvements in the future practices of the construction and its implementation provides development in the process of work.
Application of sustainable project management principles to the management of construction projects
Sustainable project management principles mainly need some persistence and the ability to motivate other people. In construction projects by WSD, there is a requirement of getting proper attention from the stage of design to the delivery of final products. However, it is important to apply sustainable project management principles for managing the construction projects which are as follows:
Commitment and Accountability- This is the first principle to apply in the management of a construction project as it is essential to consider the appropriate rights of health, and a clean as well as safe environment during the project work (Babalola, Ibem, and Ezema, 2019). The company needs to follow a certain rule of law and ethical procurement for dealing with the activities of construction. However, this is one of the most important perspectives of commitment and accountability to use in construction projects.
Ethics and Decision making- WSD Ltd must support some organizational ethics while doing work on the construction projects and dealing with the process of decision making. It can be carried out with the help of considering the long-term effect of constructing projects on society as well as the environment (Olawumi, and et.al. 2018).
Integrated and transparent- For running a smooth business construction project there is a requirement of integration for an increase in the economic development as well as the social integrity for handling various practices.
Principles and Value-Based- It can be implemented for handling the way of using the technologies as well as resources for the building of projects. In the construction project, WSD Ltd needs to make appropriate use of resources as per the changes in the marketplace and technology changes rapidly so it is important to deal with the changing environment. It helps to create a valuable impact on the people who are involved in the work and enhance their perception of the utilization of resources.
Social and Ecological Equity- This principle of sustainable project management can be applied in the project management of construction projects to assess the vulnerability of humans in sensitive areas. It helps to analyse the demographic dynamics to assess the aspect of the population regarding the level of construction that is considered a helpful aspect for the ecological term (Martins, and et.al. 2019). However, it has a huge impact on the process of working on a construction project and dealing with the changes in business terms for the better in the future.
Economic Prosperity- This principle in the management of construction projects can be considered a major aspect for achieving the objectives with a balance of the requirement of the stakeholders. It is beneficial to consider the stakeholders as a major part of the business and take their opinions in the decision-making procedure for the construction of some new areas.
All of the above principles of sustainable project management and their implementation in the construction project of WSD Ltd create a positive impact on society and people as it helps them to find a better way to deal with the changes in society. Thus, it provides a better way to deal with the marketplace by using appropriate principles.
How health and safety should be considered as a sustainability performance measure
Health and safety are considered important factors to protect the workers for managing the losses in the construction of projects. It also shows that the company is highly committed to the well-being of the workers and focuses on the building block for the safety culture of the employees. The construction of projects by WSD Ltd mainly comprises the management practices and their purpose is to provide a safe behaviour that highly impacts employees’ performance as well as their attitude (Souza, and Alves, 2018). The practices of safety and health show that the company is highly motivated towards providing the best sustainable practices to the management of the business. There are many changes in the safety as well as health that are to be prevented over a period and safety management tools help to solve the issues and identify various outcomes within the business. It also gives betterment among the nature of employees towards the business and creates a positive image of the people within the business.
Sustainable organizations need to monitor the level of risk and they have two critical engaged in the prevention system with the help of proper planning and cooperation with their employees. It also includes the internal as well as external control that needs to be implemented for handling the various practices of the business. However, the practices can be controlled with the help of various techniques that help to make improvements in the health and safety in the sustainability performance measures. The participation of employees plays a major role to consider the changes in the opinion of people (Malesios, and et.al. 2018). The sustainable participation of the employees needs to be in terms of a safety culture that is associated with the unsafe behaviour of other people. Culture plays an important role to understand the different factors which can influence the behaviour of people in a sustainable environment.
The sustainable monitoring activities within the construction projects need to be improved with the business environment of sustainability. However, the monitoring of different activities like procedures of safety regarding employees, industrial accidents, number of accidents is to be claimed. In contrast to this, the external activities of the business include that it is important to provide protect suppliers as well as the implementation of monitoring the suppliers with the help of compliance of Health and safety. The ultimate goal of the sustainable performance measure is to provide actual health and safety measures to the Employees that are related to the incident that happens during the workplace and during office hours. However, the company needs to consider internal as well as external factors for reducing the harmful environmental issues with the help of the development of sustainability (Jabbour, and et.al. 2020).
Thus, it is important to consider the health and safety of people within the workplace in terms of Sustainable performance measures which help to bring changes in the business activities and motivate employees to work together for better performance. The health and safety measures are properly taken by the management of WSD Ltd to provide a better environment for the employees at the workplace.
Conclusions and recommendations
So, from the overall study it can be concluded that with the development in the technology the face of overall construction industry has also changed a lot. Now they are not only focussing in just making building however they are also providing their focal point on creating sustainable development for a better future. But still there are few gaps identified in the study which can be emitted by:
- Implementing high end technology to create better sustainability
- Giving proper training to the labours to make them understand about the importance of sustainability.
Ali, KA 2020, 'Issues, Impacts, and Mitigations of Carbon Dioxide Emissions in the Building Sector', Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Babalola, O., Ibem, E.O. and Ezema, I.C., 2019. Implementation of lean practice
Construct,Go 2020, SUSTAINABILITY IN CONSTRUCTION, viewed 16 May 2022, <https://www.goconstruct.org/why-choose-construction/whats-happening-in-construction/sustainability-in-construction-1/>.
Consulting ,CPM 2022, Better economic, social and environmental sustainability, viewed 16 May 2022, <https://cpmconsulting.rs/better-economic-social-and-environmental-sustainability/>.
Czajkowska, A 2018, 'The role of sustainable construction in sustainable development', MATEC Web of Conferences, vol 174, no. 3.
Fei, W 2021, 'The Critical Role of the Construction Industry in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Delivering Projects for the Common Good', Chongqing College of Architecture and Technology.
Ltd,Juta 2022, Sustainable Development and Construction: Everything You Need to Know, viewed 16 May 2022, <https://juta.co.uk/juta-news/sustainable-construction-development/>.
UNGC 2022, Social Sustainability, viewed 16 May 2022, <https://www.unglobalcompact.org/what-is-gc/our-work/social>.
Campos-Guzmán, V., García-Cáscales, M.S., Espinosa, N. and Urbina, A., 2019. Life Cycle Analysis with Multi-Criteria Decision Making: A review of approaches for the sustainability evaluation of renewable energy technologies. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 104, pp.343-366.
Findler, F., Schönherr, N., Lozano, R. and Stacherl, B., 2018. Assessing the impacts of higher education institutions on sustainable development—an analysis of tools and indicators. Sustainability, 11(1), p.59.
Henry, B., Laitala, K. and Klepp, I.G., 2019. Microfibres from apparel and home textiles: Prospects for including microplastics in environmental sustainability assessment. Science of the total environment, 652, pp.483-494.
Jabbour, C.J.C., Seuring, S., de Sousa Jabbour, A.B.L., Jugend, D., Fiorini, P.D.C., Latan, H. and Izeppi, W.C., 2020. Stakeholders, innovative business models for the circular economy and sustainable performance of firms in an emerging economy facing institutional voids. Journal of environmental management, 264, p.110416.
Malesios, C., Skouloudis, A., Dey, P.K., Abdelaziz, F.B., Kantartzis, A. and Evangelinos, K., 2018. Impact of small?and medium?sized enterprises sustainability practices and performance on economic growth from a managerial perspective: Modeling considerations and empirical analysis results. Business strategy and the environment, 27(7), pp.960-972.
Martins, V.W.B., Rampasso, I.S., Anholon, R., Quelhas, O.L.G. and Leal Filho, W., 2019. Knowledge management in the context of sustainability: Literature review and opportunities for future research. Journal of cleaner production, 229, pp.489-500.
Olawumi, T.O., Chan, D.W., Wong, J.K. and Chan, A.P., 2018. Barriers to the integration of BIM and sustainability practices in construction projects: A Delphi survey of international experts. Journal of Building Engineering, 20, pp.60-71.
Shrestha, A. and Thaheem, M.J., 2022. Risk Management as a Tool for Sustainability. Sustainability, 14(7), p.4331.
Souza, J.P.E. and Alves, J.M., 2018. Lean-integrated management system: A model for sustainability improvement. Journal of Cleaner Production, 172, pp.2667-2682.